Thursday, July 18, 2013

Experiencing "Godincidences" in Everyday Life: Meet Child Ambassador, Rebecca Losh

CA Rebecca Losh

What led you to become a Child Ambassador?

Well, the Lord, of course, but I have been involved with World Vision for about as long as I can remember.  I am a second generation child sponsor as my parents were sponsoring children through WV as I was growing up.   Then shortly after getting married, my husband and I started sponsoring and now our teenage kids are child sponsors.  I have volunteered with WV at events and concerts for many years and realized that the highlight of the event for me was not the concert or speakers but helping to get children sponsored.  I had thought about the Child Ambassador position for a long time but the timing just seemed right, now that my two kids have graduated from homeschooling. 

I also had a very, vivid dream that fueled my passion to help those who cannot help themselves.  In my dream,  I was in heaven and standing with a group of people and we were all looking at Jesus and smiling.  Then a look of confusion crossed my face and I asked Him a question.  I said, “Lord, there is something I don’t understand.  All the children; the ones who didn’t have clothes or shelter or food to eat, the ones who starved: why didn’t you provide for them?”  The question echoed in the crowd behind me, "Yes, why, Lord"?  He gazed at the crowd with a mix of love, tenderness, and sadness in his eyes.  Then he looked at me.  He took my face in his hands and He looked deep into my eyes and He gently explained.  He said, "My child, when I blessed you with more than you needed, I was inviting you to be my hands and feet.  I was offering you a chance to love someone else the way that I had loved you.  When I spoke to you about storing up treasures in heaven, this is what I was talking about.  When I told you that caring for the least of these was caring for me, this is what I meant.  So you see, my child, I did provide all that was needed for the children, but it  was up to you to see that they received it."  Then a tear ran down my cheek as he kissed my forehead and embraced me in forgiveness. 

Where have you shared sponsorship?

I have shared sponsorship at churches, homeschool groups, a monthly art fair and with individuals.  My 18 year old daughter, Katie, goes with me most of the time to help at the table.   My church has been very supportive and I think this is largely due to the fact that so many people were already familiar with WV before I became an ambassador.   I had previously recruited many of them to volunteer with me at events.  They would volunteer because I had asked them to or to get in free to the event and then before the event was over, they had sponsored a child!
It seems that the Lord is placing me in the right place at the right time and that I am harvesting the many seeds that have been planted.  I read the article on the blog  "Ask August Challenge".  It talked about not getting discouraged by the no's.  I think we need to look at the no's as planting seeds.  For most of the people that actually say 'yes' to child sponsorship, it isn't the first time they have heard of WV or of child sponsorship.  There have been seeds scattered earlier that had time to take root in their hearts and grow the desire to help make a difference in the world.  Many people that actually sponsor have commented to me that they have "always wanted to do this"  because they saw a presentation at a concert or someone else they know sponsors or they heard about it one way or another and didn't do it at the time, but they kept thinking about it.  So, just because someone gives you a 'no' this time, you may still have planted a seed in their hearts that just needs time to mature.

What has been your biggest challenge?

My biggest challenge has been public speaking.  That has been an area that I have had to completely depend on the Lord for strength and courage.  It has always been a difficult thing for me to do, but because I am so passionate about our mission as Child Ambassadors it becomes a little easier and He is growing me and shaping me in this area. (Can you relate? Try reading the post, Conquering Three Common Fears.)

What has been your favorite experience as a Child Ambassador?

My favorite experiences are when something happens that I don't expect or never dreamed of and I kind of feel like I'm just along for the ride.  For example, I went to a funeral out-of-state and got last minute reservations at a bed and breakfast that was in a very remote area.  We had breakfast with our hosts the next morning and during our conversation, my husband mentioned that I was a CA through WV.   Our hostess then told me a story about how she received some money unexpectedly and wanted to share it.  A friend had suggested to her that she could sponsor a child.  She said she was just waiting for the Lord to give her an opportunity to do so and there I was with children in my purse!   Another time, I was donating platelets at the Red Cross when the technician started asking me what I like to do.  I shared with her how much fun I was having as a CA and she said, "You know, I would do that (sponsor a child) if I knew they were real."  I shared with her my own experiences with sponsorship and took some kids out of my purse. She then took the folders to lunch with her and came back with one filled out.  Again, another divinely arranged appointment. Another time, I had presented at a church and a lady came up to me and said, "I don't go to this church, I am just visiting today for the first time, but I have always wanted to sponsor a child and what a coincidence it is that you are here the day I visit."  A coincidence?  I'd say a Godincidence!

Do you have any tips for other CAs?

 I think as CAs we need to be particularly open to the Lord's leading and flexible to His plans.  When I presented sponsorship at my home church, there was an individual that wasn't really interested in child sponsorship but he wanted to do something.  It had always been my husband's dream to build a well in Africa, so we suggested this opportunity to him and he was very excited about it.  I was put in touch with a water project in Ethiopia and we started collecting to build a well.  When I presented sponsorship at other churches, I also mentioned this opportunity to build a well and found that there is a whole other group of people, (often middle-age to older men) who would never sponsor a child but are very enthusiastic about building a well.  One man at a church that I spoke at told me that he had planned to give $1000 toward building a well but was looking for the right organization to do it with.  Again, I felt I was right where God wanted me to be.  To date, we have collected and sent $12,500 for the well!

Would you be interested in volunteering at a World Vision Artist Associate event or concert? Find out what's coming to your area: Artist Associate events. If you volunteer at an event, please let me know! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Was this helpful to you? Leave comments or questions and I'll get back to you. Thank you!