Friday, June 21, 2013

What do I do now? The First Five Steps of Being a Child Ambassador

You've taken a leap of faith and signed up to become a Child Ambassador with World Vision. We are so happy to have you as part of this ministry! You have joined a group of people who, like you, have felt the Lord ask them to be part of his work in the world. It's an exciting journey to take part in and an amazing group to travel with on the ride! 

Step 1: The Training Videos 
You most likely have already completed your video training at this point but, if you haven't yet, that's the perfect place to begin. Following are the links: 

Who We Are - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FguoBJew8UE


These videos are a great way to familiarize yourself with World Vision's work on a deeper level and to feel more comfortable sharing as a child ambassador.


Step 2: Talk to your Leadership Team Member
I'm the North Central region's Leadership team member. In general, that means that I'm the guide or coach for CA's living in MN, WI, ND, and SD. If you're in MI, IO, or IL, don't worry. I still have some of you with me, too! I'm a volunteer and a child ambassador, like you. I want to make sure you have the resources you need in your ministry and to help you find the niche that God has for you in this ministry. When we talk, I'll try to help you determine your goals and next steps.


Step 3: Get Familiar with the Child Ambassador Website and other Resources
The CA website is a treasure trove of information. Look over the different tabs, links, and resources. If you have a Facebook account, join the CA community page. It's a great way to get connected, share prayer requests for events, and ask questions. Also, be aware of free resources on the Church Resources site: http://churchresources.worldvision.org/collections/free  The resources will help you to speak knowledgeably on many topics and could supply you with handouts, posters, or other tools.


Step 4: The Six Month Action Plan
This document is great as an idea generator. Prayerfully go through the ideas given in it and circle the ones that you're interested in trying. Then, make some calls and/or set up some appointments. 

When I first started as a CA, I had never heard of a Rotary Club. I saw it on the list and thought I would give it a try. They were a wonderful group of philanthropically-minded business owners who invite speakers in to share about giving opportunities. It was a fun, easy start to speaking to groups. 

If you haven't received a Six Month Action Plan, please email me and I will be sure you receive it.

Step 5: Plan Ahead
Sometimes churches are able to host a Hope Sunday on short notice but more often it takes time. Many churches plan their calendars up to a year in advance. Be patient as they figure out how, when, and if they can host a Hope Sunday. As Child Ambassadors, we are there to serve the churches. Remember that, even if they aren't able to host a Hope Sunday, there are other ways to serve. Try speaking to Sunday School classes and ministry groups. Host an international dinner. Be creative. Share with us what you think up. Your idea might inspire someone else! Before reaching out to your church, please contact me to learn about best practices in contacting churches. I can help guide you through that process.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Was this helpful to you? Leave comments or questions and I'll get back to you. Thank you!