Recently Child
Ambassador, Scott Olthoff, traveled to Kenya with Team World Vision to see
firsthand the work that is being done and to meet with his sponsored child,
Nelson. Following is his moving story:
“I feel so fortunate to have been able to go on another
vision trip. I've now visited one of our sponsored children twice.
I don't know many folks that have had that opportunity. The
transformation that I saw in the community between the two trips (20 months)
was really amazing.
The first trip I went on was around Nov 1, of 2011.
The community in Bartabwa, Kenya was just starting to get some hope.
On the first trip we visited four water projects that were not yet
complete. There were two Borehole Wells, a reservoir, and a capped
spring. All four communities are now thriving. School
enrollment has more than doubled. Women are now taking a leadership role
in their communities (before they were too busy and too worn out to care) and
they are starting small businesses (through WV micro-finance). The word
that comes to mind is "dignity." World Vision has provided
dignity for the women in this community. They are no longer living day to
day searching for contaminated water. They are starting small businesses;
their kids are going to school. It's my belief that in 10 years, you won’t
be able to recognize this community.
Before WV intervened in this community the average age of menopause
was 25 to 30. There is still a lot of work to be done to reach all
portions of this region, but it's happening day by day.
I think one of the most powerful moments on the trip for
me was when our team had the opportunity to wash the feet of the WV staff in
Bartabwa. The last time I went on the trip I was convicted to initiate
this, but it never happened. This time I didn't let the opportunity slip by.
Each member of our team was able to wash the feet of a staff member.
It was an incredible moment that I'm sure none of us will ever forget.
It made a lasting impression on all of us. I think part of the
impact is they tend to put Americans on a pedestal instead of seeing us as
equals. We let them know that we are here to serve them and we really
appreciate the sacrifice each staff member makes in the community.
The World Vision staff have to be away from their families
so they can serve in this community. Many live in Bartabwa during the week and
then take public transportation home (really lousy way to travel) Friday night
and arrive home early Saturday morning. They are home with their families
Saturday and part of Sunday, when they have to be back in Bartabwa by Monday
morning.
This is a picture of Nelson, his mother and I during my recent visit. The last time I visited, I gave him one of my running medals from a race here in the U.S. He was wearing the medal when we arrived at the school he was at. His mother said that I was his "second father."
*** To find out more about Scott’s trip, please check out this
blog post, written by a team member, Simone Halpin:
Here is an excerpt from her post on the Kenya trip:
“…Kenya had made the Bible come alive to me. ...I got a chance to meet with mothers whose language I could not speak and connect with them…I was inspired by their strength and wisdom and want to be a better wife and mom because of my time with them. I got a passion to do more and a vision to bring home where we can do more. Something snapped in me when my eyes saw the unacceptable reality that people are in poverty that you cannot describe until you see it for yourself. And I got more of Jesus – when your heart breaks for the things that break his, he meets you in that place of sorrow."
As Child Ambassadors, we are a part of the work that the Lord is doing through World Vision! Let's pray for World Vision staff and the communities they serve. Let's ask the Lord to break our hearts for what breaks his and let's also pray for courage and boldness in sharing sponsorship. You are making a difference!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Was this helpful to you? Leave comments or questions and I'll get back to you. Thank you!