Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Finding her Niche in the Farmer's Markets -- Meet Fellow CA, Katie Andreason

Each week, I'm planning to feature a different Child Ambassador from our region. It's a chance to get a little more connected and learn with and from each other. You know you all are some of my favorite people, right? :) If you're willing, please also consider using this as a chance to pray for one another. Thank you!

Meet the wonderful Katie Andreason from Iowa. 

What inspired you to become a Child Ambassador?
CA Katie Andreason
This spring, I was doing Kelly Minter's study on the book of Nehemiah with the Women's Ministry at my church. In the study, Kelly encourages every participant to figure out what God has put in each of our hearts to do, just as He put a desire to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem into Nehemiah's heart. In the study, Kelly explains that we have to let our hearts be broken by the things that break the heart of God. Nehemiah was broken over the disgrace and suffering of the Jewish remnant in Jerusalem. When he heard the wall was broken down, he wept, fasted and prayed. Then, he devoted himself to rebuilding the wall.

During the study, I prayed that God would give me an opportunity to "build walls" for the poor and oppressed. Child sponsorship builds walls of protection, hope, and love for children and families in great need. Becoming a Child Ambassador has given me an opportunity to join in the work of finding others to help build walls for the poor and oppressed.


What is the main way you have been sharing sponsorship?
   
The main way I have been sharing sponsorship is at Farmer's Markets. I have been accepted into 5 different markets. Some markets only let non-profit organizations come once or twice a season. Some are free, others have a minimal fee. Most Farmer's Markets have an application process and deadlines. The smaller markets are easier to apply and get into than the larger markets. I have a 6 foot table to display sponsorship packets and a 10x10 shade canopy. I simply share with those interested that I am looking for sponsors for children in need through World Vision. Then, I talk about the children we sponsor and explain a little bit about how it works. Pretty easy!


Do you have any stories to share that encouraged you in your ministry?
The very first Farmer's Market I went to this spring, I talked to a woman from India about the child I sponsor in India. She was very interested in learning more about what she could do for children from her own country. I gave her my email address and the World Vision website, and she went home that night at sponsored a girl from India with her birthdate! She also started a WV fundraising page for her birthday. She wanted to start volunteering with me, and helped at the last Farmer's Market. She is planning on helping at 4 more Farmer's Markets this summer! She can speak about the needs of children in poverty around the world with a great depth of knowledge because she has seen it with her own eyes and is passionate to help children from her home country. I am blessed to have her volunteer with me!


Do you have any tips? 
The first week I became a CA, I bought a new notebook to write down ideas for sharing sponsorship and brainstormed every family-friendly event, business, festival, parade, and church I could think of in my area. I record the date that I contacted the business and any follow up information in the notebook so I don't forget. I also looked in the local events section of newspapers and the webpages of local TV stations for ideas. I made a lot of calls and sent a lot of emails asking if I could display at events. That initial time investment has paid off as I had many people respond and have gained some opportunities to share sponsorship this summer.

If you decide to try a display at a Farmer's Market, come prepared for windy conditions! I have gone to markets where things didn't blow around too much, but other days it has been very windy. Even the table cloth will need to be secured down with tape or clips. The shade canopy will fly away if it is not weighted down, along with the sponsorship packets! I purchased clear plastic frames to hold down sponsorship packets. My husband also built me a wooden tri-fold (painted black) that we are going to screw clips onto to attach the packets for the next Farmer's Market. I am also going to try hanging a few packets with a clothes pin on twine hung from the canopy and see if that works. Also, I ordered a sign from the CA Store that draws attention to the display. It reads, "You can't change the whole world, but you can change the world for one child."  YES!!

Here is the link to Kelly Minter's Nehemiah study if anyone is interested:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Was this helpful to you? Leave comments or questions and I'll get back to you. Thank you!